What is Tucker University?
Tucker University is a series of technique classes for the Studio 180 Design Tools and Techniques. Each class will cover a different Studio 180 Design tool to help quilters build their skills and accuracy as well as ways to expand the use of the tool.
Which Studio 180 Design Tools will we be learning?
During AQR’s program, we will feature the following 12 rulers:
1. Tucker Trimmer & Shaded Four Patch
2. V Block & Sidekick & High/Low
3. Wing Clipper I & Pickets & Quickets
4. Square-squared & Little Houses
5. Corner Beam & Sliver
6. Rapid Fire Lemoyne Star
7. Corner Pop
8. Split Rects
9. Diamond Rects
10. Large Square Squared
11. Rapid Fire Lemoyne Star - Advanced I: Strip Pieced, Liberty & Banded Lemoyne Star
12. Rapid Fire Lemoyne Star - Advanced II: Fussy Cut, Lemoyne as Triangles & Blazing Lemoyne Star
What will we be doing in class?
In class, we learn about the featured tool & how to use it. Then we will practice what we have learned by creating 4" finished units so that they can be combine to make larger blocks of all sizes. It is important to note that all of the Studio 180 Design tools are designed to trim down multiple sizes of any one unit depending on the tool. In class, we will be working with 4" finished units that can be made into either 8", 12" or 16" blocks.
What is the Class Project?
Tucker University is a technique class. In class we will be creating 4" finished units that can be made into large sized blocks. So while we don't have a scheduled project, students can create blocks from the units made in class. Another option is to make additional units & combine them with the units created from each lesson learned during Tucker University to showcase each technique into a quilt or smaller project.
Will I have other opportunities to use the tools I have learned in each lesson?
Absolutely! At AQR, we believe in using our tools & rulers as much as possible. Therefore, after each lesson, we will offer additional classes that allow the opportunity to use the tool learned in full-sized projects. Many of the projects even use multiple tools.
What skill level is needed to take classes?
Beginner to Advanced can attend Tucker University.
There are not levels of difficulty denoted on the course or Design Sheets. The reason for this is that regardless of where the quilter is in their journey, they will experience a better quality of piecing when they utilize the Studio 180 Deign tools and techniques. Therefore, quilters of any level can benefit from our Tucker University classes.
What makes these tools different?
The slightly oversized construction ensures precision trimming for precise unit sizes when finished. This is very helpful when piecing because your units are the exact size needed. It also helps when joining the units together to create finished blocks that are the exact required size when finished.
Each tool offers:
- Multiple sizes on every tool (one tool, many possibilities)
- Slightly oversized construction for precision trimming for precise unit sizes
- Clear Instructions
- Left and Right handed cutting instructions
- Technique Sheets for additional technique options for each tool
What is included in my program fee?
Your participation includes:
- 3-4 hours of hands-on classroom instruction detailing how to use the featured tool
- Laminated Design Sheet for each tool featured
- Black line Masters which are diagrams of the variations of blocks that can be created with the featured tool.
- A great time in class with quilting friends at AQR
Will Tucker University replace AQR's Quilters Rule?
No, we will be continuing our popular Quilters Rule series in addition to Tucker University.